Chicken Tortilla Soup18 Mar 2020, Posted by Chris' Corner in
During these weird times of restaurants and bars being shut down people are finding that their food options are limited. While many restaurants are still offering grab and go options other may not have the resources to provide this service for their guests. Now is the time to support your local restaurant community and order food from them. Unfortunately, many of these small businesses may not make it through the government mandated closures.
Order food to go or for delivery and spend some time at home with the ones you love. Contact friends and family via phone or video chat. Do some spring cleaning. Pick up a new home-based hobby. Go through your spice cabinet and pantry to toss out your old or expired items.
With grocery stores being picked over there are a few things that you may still find available. The recipe below for chicken tortilla soup is a great bulk recipe that is cheap, easy and comforting.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yields 1.5-2 qt.
Prep Time – 10 min
Cook Time – 25 min
- 8 yellow corn tortillas
- 3 yellow onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 chipotle peppers*
- 2 ancho peppers*
- 2 New Mexico chiles*
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- 2 limes (zest and juice)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips, dice onions and slice the garlic thin.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the dried peppers.
- Over medium heat fry the tortilla strips with the oil until crispy and lightly browned.
- Use a wooden or silicon spatula to scrap the bottom of the pot so nothing sticks and burns
- Add the diced onions and continue to cook until translucent.
- Add the coriander and cumin and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Fold in the tomato paste and cook for 2 mins.
- Deglaze the pot with the crushed tomatoes and 4 cups of chicken stock.
- Add the dried peppers and bring the liquid up to a simmer.
- Add the cilantro and bring up to a simmer again.
- Remove from heat and blend in small batches.
- Scrap the bottom of the pan before return the soup base if there are burnt bits.
- Over medium/low heat continue to cook the soup base.
- Add the lime zest and juice along with the remaining 4 cups of chicken stock.
- Salt to taste then remove from the heat.
*Dried chiles can be found in the spice aisle and sometime in the product section as well
Chicken and Garnishes
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 2 jalapenos
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 10 oz queso fresco
- 1 bunch of radishes
- ¼ head of green cabbage
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
- 1 large avocado
- Tortilla Chips
- Marinate the chicken over night or season with your choice of spices such as smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc.
- Sear the chicken over high heat.
- Cover the chicken and slow roast in an over at 250F until the chicken hits 160F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest covered.
- Remove the stems and seeds of the jalapenos then mince.
- Remove stems from cilantro and set aside half of the leaves.
- Finely chop half of the leaves and put the other half in a blender.
- Add the sour cream and avocado along with the lime zest and juice to the blender.
- Blend the sour cream mixture until smooth.
- Remove the stems from the radishes then slice thin on a mandolin.
- Cut the mandolin into sticks.
- Break down the cabbage into a medium dice.
- Break down the queso fresco into a crumble.